To contribute my creative Systems Engineering skills along with the years of Linux, Networking, Embedded system development experience to collaborate with a team that enhances your organizations success.
2014 Aug – Present Aequitas Innovations Inc., Toronto, Ont
Application Engineer/System Administrator
- Being part of the technology and operations team which is responsible to make sure all the systems (100+ Linux/Oracle/Windows Server) are up and running.
- Analyze/troubleshoot/fix any issues related applications or systems or network.
- Deploy new applications, patch systems with the latest security updates.
- Develop system modules (scripts/applications) to interact with the existing system level components.
- Automate tasks to minimize operational errors.
- Maintaining the internal JIRA/Confluence ticketing/CRM system.
- Working closely with other teams to achieve deadline requirements.
- Document new operational process & procedures for the existing/new systems.
- Work with the business operations team to identify and troubleshoot customer issues (Level 3 support).
- Write ad hock scripts/programs to analyze and model data.
- Troubleshooting Order Entry (Fix 4.2), Market Data (ITCH, NITCH, STAMP), Replay/Recovery, Drop Copy gateways/process
2008 Oct – 2014 July Penguin Engineering Systems Inc., Brampton, Ont
Senior Systems Engineer (Independent Consultant)
- End to end Software developer. Task involves the development of the firmware development for the custom hardware designs and the controller/server/GUI components.
- Server/Controller customization to make a real-time responsive system that guarantees the communication to the devices and to the end user interfaces.
- Development of various test suites for regress testing scenarios to evaluate the best/worst cases of the hardware/software models.
- Evaluation of various hardware components to minimize production costs.
- Working closely with customers to implement new features and improve the existing system.
- Developed & deployed Condo management software (CondoClicks.com) for day to day activities of a condominium hosted on a cloud environment using LAMP.
- Designed an electronic elevator display system using iMX53 & LAMP. It has eliminated the use of printed notices, display real time news feeds along with live weather, slide show of the building and a news ticker for quick notices.
- Implemented various encryption technologies throughout the hardware/software models to keep the system secure and proprietary.
- Administering all the PESIplex’s servers and remote controllers.
- Implemented iptable firewalls on all servers and controllers.
- Currently maintaining various web based products hosted on Linux servers running the LAMP stack.
2002 Dec – 2008 Oct Condoplex Monitoring Systems Inc., Etobicoke, Ont
Senior Systems Engineer
- Managed, Proposed and implemented various Linux based Embedded solutions. Solutions including the implementation custom kernels, custom system configurations and various diagnostics tools using shell scripts.
- Invented and implemented new feature sets for the applications to satisfy customer needs. Solutions ranging from MySQL database design/optimization, picking the right hardware to implementing various network solutions.
- Improved & Enhanced the Graphical User Interface [PHP, Tcl/Tk, VNC, IceWM].
- Employed various procedures for efficient product development and testing, which has accelerated sales volumes. [Custom scripts, automated tasks managements, etc].
- Successfully migrated the entire company from a Microsoft Windows based storage system with a Linux server. Also implanted live and scheduled backups with Linux based open source tools. [RSYNC, Samba, Software and Hardware RAID]
- Build, configured the company’s Web, Mail, dialup, firewall server using various open source components [Apache, Sendmail, IPTables & CalmAV]
Hands on experience with remote upgrading/monitoring of customer sites.
- Created a Service Tracking utility using LAMP, which is used by the technical support, development & RMA teams.
2000 Mar – 2002 Dec Navtech Systems Support Inc., Waterloo, Ont
- Managed more than 60 Linux, Windows & Sun Servers in a mission critical environment.
- Developed a variety of system monitoring tools using Perl, bash & PHP to monitor remote servers. These tools were configurable to generate reports of various formats [graphical, html & email]. It is still used by the Technical support teams. It is also displayed by the Sales teams at many trade shows to promote company’s service levels.
- Played a key role between the Sales team and the customers in defining standards and implementation tasks.
- Implemented various WAN, LAN, VPN & PPP Solutions & failover network methodologies. Worked closely with AT&T on implementing Frame Relay/ISDN circuits.
- Improved the server installation procedure to minimize the installation time from weeks to hours.
- Ad hock code development/fixes [C, Perl, PHP, bash, ksh & sed].
- Implemented various backup solutions [RAID, NAS & Custom Scripts], implemented disaster recovery procedures.
- Implemented high availability Linux based clusters & achieved 99.999% uptime.
1996 Jan – 2000 Jan University of Guelph CCS Guelph, Ont
Systems Admin, Web designer, PC & LAN Specialist
- Successfully administered the UofG library pool computers & print-systems.
- Assisted and trained library members with various computer applications.
- Diagnosed and developed solutions for enterprise wide network issues.
- Designed web pages for businesses [HTML, Java Script, Perl, CGI, and Apache].
- Developed custom software solutions for a Video Store [Visual Basic 6, MSAccess].
- Setup, maintained & supported Engineering Student Club’s web/email/ftp servers.
- Instructed and tutored students with Linux related projects.
PROJECTS CURRENTLY INVOLVED:
- Working with an open source project called SIMPL (Synchronous Inter process Messaging Project for Linux).
- Created my own version of Linux LiveCD using Slackware 11 & 2.6.X.
University of Guelph Guelph, Ont
Engineering Systems and Computing, BSc, (Eng)
- Experimented almost every major version of Linux distributions since 1995.
- Administration of Apache, MySQL engines
- Setting up Sendmail, IPTables based firewalls, SVN version control on various Linux Servers.
- Clear understanding & Hands on training on Preemptive Linux Kernels.
- Strong network routing skills & Hands on training on various WAN, LAN, Serial protocols [TCP/IP, Frame relay, PPP, Ethernet, RS232 & RS485].
- Versatile shell scripter with bash, csh, ksh, Perl & Php for system level automations.
- Performance analyzing and tuning of Servers and Embedded Controller (under Linux).
- Have successfully managed a team of engineers with various projects from ground up to deployment.
- Have implemented 3 tier-securities in various products (system level, communication level & application level).
- Have done numerous sales presentations, technical product training as well as onsite installation & integration of proprietary products.
- Proficiency in C, C#, .Net Framworks, Java, Turbo C, Visual Basic, 68000 Assembly, shell scripting and IC [Interactive C] for the Motorola’s HC11 Micro controller chipset, CCS & Hi-Tech compilers for Microchip.
- Excellent knowledge of HTML, Perl, PHP, Java Scripts. jQuery
- Experience with design/setting up MySQL databases, replication and backup.
- Hands on training on, FreeBSD, IBM’s RISC 6000 & AIX, Unix Sys-V, DOS, Windows 2000, XP Embedded, Vista and Windows 7.
- Clear understanding of the operating system internals.
- Hands on experience with data encryption/decryption (i.e. 3DES).
- Excellent knowledge of embedded technology & kernel preemptions.
- Hands on experience with Windows to Linux connectivity.
- Have evaluated various virtualization products including VMWare and VirtualBox.
- Played a major role in selecting the right database for the job by installing Oracle & Mysql under Linux and some C programs to gather information, which were then plotted on to a MRTG graph for easy analysis.
- Clear understanding & hands on experience with Linux print & mail sub systems.
- Ability to learn and adapt to any environment quickly.
- Ability to work in a group oriented infrastructure and motivate users acquainted with new tools.
- Ability to think critically, act logically to evaluate, solves problems and makes decisions.
- Possess exceptional listening skills with an excellent command of English language
- A highly professional, organized, decisive, result oriented and committed individual with high energy.
- Alumni member of the Guelph School of Engineering.
- Photography (Member of Brampton Photo Club)
- Reading, evaluating open source products for Linux
- Involved with a group of Engineers who teach kids electronics and robotics
- Available upon request.